Installing CentOS 6 Minimal
We will start the video series with a small video showcasing about “Installing CentOS 6 Minimal” using noVNC over the internet’s cloud servers. For the tutorial, I used Vultr since it gives more power to the user by allowing you to install a Minimal version of your favorite OS via custom ISO. When starting a sever, a minimal OS installation is a big YES to avoid software conflicts.
Vultr like Digital Ocean and Linode offers the user a change to build his/her own server from scratch. Vultr was a step higher by allowing the user full control of the server using the Custom ISO path (aside from giving more memory and space compared to the two providers).
Our first step is to download and upload a custom ISO from ISO Direct, CentOS official distribution page.
- Load your ISO to Vultr’s VM machine settings page
- Click View Console from the “Server Managment” page
- noVNC will open up, just follow the instructions which mostly are non trivial
- Once you reach the disk management area, select “all” which will tell the installer CD to remove all partitions and use all available space for CentOS purposes.
- Select the correct time zone when you reach the timezone area, you can click the world map to select the correct city and the timezone will update automatically
- Contact your hosting provider for the correct Static IP information and use it to configure your network settings (eth0), make sure to click “manual” in order to unlock the manual configuration mode. You can also use DHCP
- In this stage, the install may also ask for your hostname which should be a Fully Qualified Domain Name
- The installer CD will instruct a reboot after completing the setup, make sure to eject the installer CD
- Finally follow this tutorial “How to setup a fully qualified domain name”
- Save this instance since this will be our base setup for future videos.