MyPhone my28 Powered by Smart
MyPhone have recently partnered with Smart telecom from its recent anniversary and released their low-cost Quadcore “MyPhone my28 Powered by Smart” Phone for P888. On some countries, 888 means luck or lucky and on some it means the number of Jesus Christ. It was not directly explained on how they derived the P888 price but one thing is for sure, Smart have thrown out more than P1000 to subsidize this phone.
I do not jump easily on bandwagon but it caught my eyes to the point that I had plan to buy a few units but ended up with Smart Stores that are out of stock with this unit so I reverted purchasing online with 5-7 days delivery. I was also able to secure one from a friend who worked with a phone supplier with partnership with MyPhone and Smart (I was very lucky).
Smart Telecoms claimed that the phone unit is Smart Sim locked but in reality, only the main Sim slot which is a nano sim was locked to Smart, Talk and Text and Sun Cellular. The main Sim slot is pre-installed with a Smart nano Sim card which a customized prepaid plan. The sim will get 100MB of data per month for free and the sim card automatically refunds you for P30 each time you reach P100 top up per month for 1 year.
The second sim slot may be telco locked on the other units but ours was not. It is also peculiar for a phone to have both sim slots locked to a telco, perhaps it is just a marketing gimmick to prevent people from slotting a Globe sim.
The my28 features a front camera flash and the picture quality is relatively good for it’s price.
The phone being powered by a quad-core processor have no signs of lagging which is very common for low-priced phones. The “downside” on this phone was the missing OTG/USB support and it’s low RAM.
Phone last for 8 hours with wifi turned on and Facebook running on the background which text use and casual calls.
A Smart tricut sim card is preinstalled that receives 100MB of data per month and an automated P30 rebate for P100 accumulated top up for the month. This will keep on going for 12 months as long as you keep your Sim card active.
- Android Smartphone
- Android Lollipop Operating System
- Dual Sim 1 Nano slim slot and 1 Ordinary Slim slot
- 1.2GHz Quad-core Spreadtrum SC7731 Chipset
- 512MB RAM
- 4.0-inch WVGA Display
- 8GB Internal Storage, Expandable via MicroSD
- 5.0-megapixel primary camera
- 2.0-megapixel secondary camera
- 3G, 2G, WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS
- Android 5.1 Lollipop
- 1450mAh Battery
The kit is bundled with the following:
- MyPhone’s my28 quadcore Android Phone
- 1450mAh Battery Pack for the Android phone
- Charger and a detachable USB cable
- Headphone with Mic
- 1 Smart Sim card tricut (preslotted and activated), removing this nano sim card will void the warranty
- 1 Talk and Text Sim card (old series non tricut)
- For early buyers, myPhone throws an extra sports watch
- P888 for a unit or approximately P1399 after the promo period
This unit is a “MUST BUY” phone for backup use or for main phone use.